The National Marriage Coalition states the belief that every child has a biological birthright to both a mother and a father. The best way to secure this right is to establish a loving and stable marriage between a man and a woman for life. Therefore heterosexual marriage should be encouraged, strengthened and supported by government, society and individuals in every possible way.
Ron Brookman, a spokesman for the National Marriage Coalition, at the hearing, said:
“For over thirty years I was a homosexual. I desired nothing more than to find a male partner with whom I could share the rest of my life. With grace and counsel over many years I was able to transform my sexuality to heterosexuality. I have now been happily married to Ruth for over 18 years with whom I have had three children. I had become disillusioned with the superficiality and transience of gay relationships. Now I have found enduring stability and a depth of love that I could never experience in my homosexual attempts.
“I am now a minister of the Uniting Church and the leader of Living Waters, an organisation which resources churches and supports people with issues of sexuality in relationships. In the last six months I have celebrated the weddings of two ex-gay men who have married beautiful wives and two couples who have given birth to babies who would never have been born had they not transitioned from homosexuality.”
Ron Brookman raised the following points in his presentation.
1. Heterosexual marriage is honoured and distinguished above all other relationships because it is the foundation of society. Marriage is not just a Judeo-Christian concept, both Aristotle and Confucius, from the West and the East, over 2,000 years ago stated their support for marriage. To alter civilisation’s foundation is not to exercise freedom. Freedom is not an unqualified licence to do what we like. That leads to anarchy. Rather freedom is a response of the human heart to the unchanging moral truth imprinted within it, to which all civilisations and complimentary gender bear witness.
2. Marriage reflects the reality, anatomy and innate desires of humankind.
3. Rather than promote equality, same sex marriage actually devalues both genders.
4. Not all gays and lesbians want marriage and the support for same sex marriage is overstated.
5. Pastorally, I am concerned for children contrived by same sex parents later facing the pain of being separated from one of their biological parents.
6. The erosion of freedom of speech, religious practice and the importance of politically correct spin denies what is naturally and intuitively believed by most people.
Bill Muehlenberg, cofounder and spokesman for the National Marriage Coalition said today in Melbourne at the Senate hearing: “Legalisation of homosexual marriage will change everything. Once the ‘right’ of homosexual marriage is established by government, then corresponding duties and obligations will be placed on all citizens, whether they like it or not.
“Wherever such changes have taken place overseas, those who differed for conscience sake have found themselves facing draconian punishments. Individuals are losing their jobs, being fined, and even jailed for daring to stand up for what they believe is right, and for defending heterosexual marriage and family.”
Bill Muehlenberg quoting headlines said: “Here are overseas reports that highlighted the problems ahead of Australia.”
“Canadian Court: Marriage officials must marry homosexuals.”
“Army: court-martial Chaplains for ‘religious, conscience’ objection to homosexuality.”
“MPs vote to stop civil servants refusing to carry out gay weddings.”
“Gay rights activists who object to the Salvation Army’s biblical stance on homosexuality are launching their annual call to shut down the organization’s Christmas fundraiser.”
“All Ontario teachers will be forced to undergo ‘diversity’ training by 2013: minister.”
“Amsterdam chief rabbi suspended for gay stance.”
“Attorney Says School Threatened, Punished Boy Who Opposed Gay Adoption.”
‘All Dutch schools must teach about homosexuality, cabinet decides.’
“Criticize homosexuality in Sweden and go to jail: No problem for European rights court.”
“14-year-old homeschooled girl receives death threats for defending marriage.”
“Alberta readies to impose ‘diversity’ education on homeschoolers.”
“‘Truth about homosexuality’ pamphleteer arrested, threatened with committal to psychiatric ward.”
“Christian minister accused of ‘crime against humanity’ for homosexuality stance.”
“Kansas law would force churches to host same-sex ‘weddings,’ receptions.”
They are only the tip of the iceberg, but demonstrate how special rights for homosexuals in general, and homosexual marriage in particular, will change everything,” summarized Muehlenberg.